Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theory for speeding up browsing - fix broken sigs

Options
  • 01-05-2006 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

OK, this is pure theory, but it may help everyone in the long run. Since members.boards.ie went tits up, there are still loads of sigs out there with links to images on members.boards.ie.

Not an insignificant amount of time, I've seen Firefox say "Waiting for members.boards.ie". So, in theory, removing any broken links to members.boards.ie that are in people's signatures should help at least a little with your browsing.

Firefox by default, doesn't show placeholders for broken image links, so many members could be browsing, blissfully unaware that their sig is broken.

So, if you notice a sig with a broken image, here's what you do:
    PM the user and let them know. If you receive no response in say, two days (or you get abuse back), use the SIGPO thread to let us know.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Alternatively the admins could remove the tags from around any links to members.boards.ie in the DB directly. This would just cause the text to be displayed and so users would find it easier to see that a sig is broken.  Slightly more work for the admins though...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

seamus wrote:
    OK, this is pure theory, but it may help everyone in the long run. Since members.boards.ie went tits up, there are still loads of sigs out there with links to images on members.boards.ie.

Not an insignificant amount of time, I've seen Firefox say "Waiting for members.boards.ie". So, in theory, removing any broken links to members.boards.ie that are in people's signatures should help at least a little with your browsing.

Firefox by default, doesn't show placeholders for broken image links, so many members could be browsing, blissfully unaware that their sig is broken.

So, if you notice a sig with a broken image, here's what you do:
    PM the user and let them know. If you receive no response in say, two days (or you get abuse back), use the SIGPO thread to let us know.
    Great idea seamus, I'd noticed that before, but never managed to get around to coming up with a solution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If all sig images had to be stored on members.boards.ie would things speed up due to quicky resolved links.
    Additionally most recently sig images would be cached locally.

* obviously when it's fully operational

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think this is a great idea.

But of course if you are running firefox just adblock members.boards.ie and this will stop all images from loading [or in this case trying to load].

Is it possible to make a censor for members.boards.ie?? By doing this users who try to add something to there sig will get something like ************* and will straight away fix there sig because it looks awful??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

i agree, surely all of these pictures etc in sigs isn't speeding anything up... any other forums I've been on have had no images in the sigs, and quite fast. probably just a coincidence, but still it might be worth exploring. even if images are removed as a temporary measure, until you get new equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Well I don't think mine affects it too much. After all it's stored in a H365 server, so I doubt there there would be much delay.

Maybe if the admins set the function where new users cannots put [noparse] [img][/img][/noparse] tags in their sigs untill they have reached 100 posts.
    Possible?

redx.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

1. Put up webserver at the members.boards.ie address (a v-web will do for this).
    2. Put a small 1×1 small-pallete PNG at that site. Set the expiry headers to request it be cached for a year.
    3. Have all requests to members.boards.ie/* for anything other than that image return a 301 Moved Permanently to that image if we're not thinking fixing members.boards.ie or a 302 Found with an expiry header saying that redirect can be cached for a week or so.
    Presto: fast and cachable images for all of memebers.boards.ie

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Talliesin wrote:
    1. Put up webserver at the members.boards.ie address (a v-web will do for this).
    2. Put a small 1×1 small-pallete PNG at that site. Set the expiry headers to request it be cached for a year.
    3. Have all requests to members.boards.ie/* for anything other than that image return a 301 Moved Permanently to that image if we're not thinking fixing members.boards.ie or a 302 Found with an expiry header saying that redirect can be cached for a week or so.
    Presto: fast and cachable images for all of memebers.boards.ie
    I could kiss you you big clever man!

Now all we need is Asok to roll over and see this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I was wondering too if the adserver stuff could kick in after the main forum page has loaded instead of everything waiting for the ad before anything happens. Couldn't code feck all myself so just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I'll see if we can remove the current members IP, that way we can easily do this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement